Welcome to the Albuquerque Chapter
Because of Department of Health restrictions to limit the spread of Covid-19, in-person NPSNM chapter meetings are not yet planned.
Monthly chapter meetings begin at 7 p.m. on the first Wednesdays of the month (except August and December) and are "broadcasted" online via the Zoom application. An invitation with a link to each meeting will be sent in advance by email to all members who have furnished their email address (as a security measure).
Non-members may either view with someone who is a member or send a request to program coordinator Sara Keeney at ABQ@npsnm.org. If your internet connection is unstable or slow, an alternative is to connect by phone using one of the numbers provided in the Zoom invitation.
Join the meeting between 6:50 (no earlier) and 7:00 p.m. by clicking on the link provided. Click "allow" when asked for Zoom to start up, and finally "agree" when asked to join with computer audio. You may then have to wait briefly to be admitted by the host.
Until formally-organized field trips resume, members are encouraged to continue getting outside for exercise, sunshine, and native plant appreciation. By going out early on weekdays, you will encounter fewer fellow hikers. Maintain recommended distance from others while minimizing wear and tear on the terrain and vegetation by staying on the trail. We invite you to post your observations on our members-only Facebook group: Native Plant Soc. of NM, Albuquerque Chapter!
Upcoming Albuquerque Events
- 07 Jul, 21
- 04 Aug, 21
- President: Carol Conoboy
- Vice President: Tom Stewart
- Program Chair: Sara Keeney
- Secretary: Dara Saville
- Treasurer: Pam McBride
- Outreach Event Coordinator: Volunteer needed!
- Books: Lee Regan
- Communications: Diane Stevenson
- Invasive Weeds Representative: Don Heinz
- Publicity: Irene Wanner
- Hospitality and Refreshments: Jan Henfling
- Field Trip Coordinator: Lee Regan
- Membership: Ann-Marie Yaroslaski
- Newsletter Editor: Diane Stevenson
- Representative to State Board: Judith Phillips
- Conservation Committee Chair: Susan Small
Flower Identification Tools
Southwest Environmental Information Network -- SEINet (best searched using Google with a known plant name, and adding "SEINET" in the search)
Vascular Plants of the Gila Wilderness (Russ Kleinman)
Wildflowers of New Mexico (George Miller)
Albuquerque Area Plant Lists
Here are plants you might enjoy seeing on walks in our region, some within Albuquerque city limits. Of course, not all plants will be noticeable or in flower at any given time, depending on season and rainfall.
- Las Conchas, Jemez Falls Lenore Goodell
- Oxbow Sandbar on the Rio Grande Lenore Goodell
- Quarai National Monument, NPS Pam McBride and Judith Phillips
- Three Gun Spring Trail, Cibola National Forest by Jim McGrath, includes directions to the trailhead.
- Sandia Crest Flowering Plants George Miller
- Tecolote Trail Plant List Pam McBride
- Narrows Rim Trail checklist in El Malpais, Pam McBride
- Hamilton Mesa - Pecos Wilderness George Miller
- Petroglyph National Monument - Rinconada Canyon by Lenore Goodell
- North Diversion Channel Bicycle and Pedestrian Trail (paved) urban wildflowers
- Checklist of the Vascular Plants in the Sandia and Manzano Mountains of Central New Mexico by Robert Sivinski
- Checklist of the Flora of the San Gregorio Lakes by Don Heinze and Dana Price
- Checklist of the Flora of the Placitas Open Space by Bill Dunmire
- Partial Checklist of Las Huertas Canyon courtesy UNM Herbarium
- Partial Checklist of the West Mesa Puerco Breaks courtesy UNM Herbarium
- Partial checklist of the flora of the Rio Grande Bosque courtesy UNM Herbarium
Past Zoom Meetings
Click here to view Zoom meetings from prior Albuquerque and statewide NPSNM meetings!